I-765 (Work Permit)

Work Permit

I-765 (Work Permit)

Certain qualified noncitizens, who are present in the United States, may file Form I-765 (Application for Employment Authorization) to request a new or renewed Employment Authorization Document (EAD). Foreign nationals may also apply for a Social Security number and card on Form I-765.

Employment Authorization in the US

Below are the common types of individuals who can use Form I-765 to request an EAD (this list is not exhaustive):

  • Spouse of an H-1B Nonimmigrant who Holds I-140
  • Adjustment Applicant under Section 245File Form I-765 together with Application to Adjust Status
  • Spouse or Unmarried Child of a Principal Beneficiary of an Approved Employment-Based Immigrant Petition
  • F-1 Students Seeking Optional Practical Training

The I-765 form instructions provided on the USCIS website provide a complete list of possible uses for Form I-765. This form does not apply to individuals who hold green cards or are authorized to work for a specific employer pursuant to statuses such as H-1B.

Read MoreLess
Please contact us to discuss your case
To explore other visas, or for a listing of our services, please click on buttons below.



Read More Testimonials >


Stay up to date on the latest immigration news. Sign up for our newsletter.
go to top